Henri Alvarez is an internationally recognized Canadian arbitrator who practices as an independent neutral at Vancouver Arbitration Chambers (VAC). Before establishing an independent arbitration practice (effective 1 December 2016), Henri was a partner of Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP.
Henri has over 30 years of experience as arbitrator and counsel in the field of international commercial arbitration and dispute resolution. From 1985 until 2012, Henri taught a course in this field at the Faculty of Law at The University of British Columbia. He has served as an arbitrator in a wide variety of international and domestic commercial arbitrations involving investments, trade, franchising, licensing, distributorship, construction, forestry, oil and gas, energy, banking, corporate and general commercial disputes. He has served as a sole arbitrator, party-appointed arbitrator and Chairman in both ad hoc and institutional arbitrations in many international commercial disputes and investment disputes. He regularly conducts arbitrations in English, Spanish and French.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- International Arbitration
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Doctoral Studies, Geneva, Switzerland, Graduate Institute of International Studies
- Special Workshop on State Contracts and International Commercial Arbitration, The Hague Academy of International Law (1987)
- LLB, 1980, University of Ottawa
- BA, 1976, University of British Columbia.
Year of Call/Admission British Columbia, 1981
Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2008